forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 am 
Site Admin

Making note of this request from someone for a change to how CDs are processed:
Quote:
And I had voted for when a nation's missed phase will cause a civil disorder that instead of the turn being processed, the user be booted, the phase time resets and all moves are cleared. This will allow a new user to join without irreparable damage and keep other players from moving in anticipation of a CD. I suggested, also, to change the buy-in cost to join an open seat -- my proposal was to make the first three centers free, which would result in even small nations being taken over.

The same logic to apply to a missed first phase. However, I do like the logic of one phase length for all players to confirm they are ready, or they get booted and go back to waiting to join status. That should resolve 95%, if not 100% of the first turn misses...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 am 

We have this already on vDip.
You might take a look at my code to get a clue how this works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ah perfect, nicely done sleepcap. Was it a fairly uncontroversial change, and was it fairly easy to apply? (i.e. does it apply to one place in the code?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:13 pm 

Its a small change if you want to use ist just for some fixed turns.
I made this very configurable and as a game-creation option.
You can select how many turns a CD should extent the turn, and how many "extends" you want.
We settled on some defaults and it helps quite a lot to fight these early CDs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 pm 

Perhaps I'm horribly out of touch, but i'm of the opinion that CD-ing does not ruin the game.

Knowing or predicting that a neighbour will CD is a useful skill, faking a CD is not always the worst move - but with this change you take this tactical option away from players.

The board game included rules for Civil Disorder because real life sometimes gets in the way of an 8 hour board game, but how we (as players) manage these incidents is part of the game, imho.

I do see how a big CD upsets the game, and being able to adapt to new circumstances is something which makes for a good diplomacy player - if one player 'gains an unfair advantage' you can either reply by whining about it or organising a new alliance against them. I'd rather see a community effort to encourage the later response than a programming solution which takes away some of the interesting tactical situations from the game.

That said, i may be in a minority in this. 2 cent.