forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Power Choice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:09 am 

kestasjk wrote:
Hmm, it'd be ideal for me if you could show me via your dev site, so that I don't need to reapply the patches if a change needs to be made or worry about security issues

OK -- I was just developing on my local machine for now, but I'll throw up a version on Dreamhost.

This sort of thing is a pain to test, since you need 7 fake user accounts to join, and do the login/logout shuffle to make sure it's working. (Could just edit the database, but I don't really consider that good testing.)

kestasjk wrote:
If it were the hols I'd be more flexible, but I'm in week 3 of 17 of the current semester, and it's a tricky one, so you're going to see my lazy and picky side unless you wait until mid-Nov when I'll be able to engage more :( The only phpDip thing I'm likely to work on during the semester is the mod-CP, and then only if it saves me time

Totally understandable -- I can work with this model. Will definitely make iteration/fixing easier.

kestasjk wrote:
I think both the random algorithms are O(n^2), like my one (actually that's O(n^2 + g) where g is the number of games being played by all members). But both of yours are much simpler and neater, and mine requires new classes to work clearly, so yup doing it randomly is going to work fine I think.

I'm not 100% sure that your two algorithms have equivalent results. Intuitively it seems like deciding 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd place, instead of giving player 1 choice, then 2, then 3 (even when ordered randomly) seems more fair, but I'm probably wrong because I can't think of a reason. But we'll see anyway, good work!

Generally I wouldn't worry about the big O value of the algorithms, since our n is very small. Also remember this only happens when a game moves from pre-game to started, so it's a relatively rare occurrence.

The fairness seems like a tossup to me. You could almost certainly make it a little more intelligent and help more people get higher choices, but the algorithm would become a lot more complex, and you'd end up having to loop over a much greater data set more times.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:02 pm 

All right, I finally found some extra time (hooray for work deadlines), and I've put my patched version up on my dreamhost here:

http://cynicalpanda.com/dip/

How would you like to go about testing it, kestas?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have a play around and create some accounts some time this week. Then I'll check out the database modifications and the code modifications, and merge in the changes

Great stuff though, very promising to see this progressing so quickly :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:13 pm 

Great -- let me know if there's anything I can do to help out with the testing/merging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing is coming up at the moment, seems to be timing out. Btw when this comes up can I post a link on the main site to get some initial reactions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:27 pm 

kestasjk wrote:
Nothing is coming up at the moment, seems to be timing out. Btw when this comes up can I post a link on the main site to get some initial reactions?

Dreamhost seems to be doing it's impersonation of the Titanic again. :-(

Can you try again in a little bit (like an hour or so)? Sorry about that -- this server is usually more reliable.

And yes, I have no problem with you posting a link, provided it comes with all the usual caveats of "beta software, etc."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:29 pm 

napthali wrote:
kestasjk wrote:

Can you try again in a little bit (like an hour or so)? Sorry about that -- this server is usually more reliable.

And yes, I have no problem with you posting a link, provided it comes with all the usual caveats of "beta software, etc."

Seems to be back up now, FWIW. Give it a shot!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 pm 

napthali wrote:
napthali wrote:
kestasjk wrote:

Seems to be back up now, FWIW. Give it a shot!

And then, of course, it hits a load of ~1000. <sigh> I've complained to DH, let's let them have a stab at fixing it.

Sorry about this! Bad timing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

No problem, I know how DH can be

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good so far, can't see any problems. :) I've posted the link in the forums, so hopefully we'll get some good feedback, but I don't see any problems myself