forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Email Interface
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:32 pm 

There are currently ~2500 Games of Diplomacy being played over the Internet. Email servers (judges) and servers based on the phpDiplomacy platform each account for ~1200 games. The web interface for the judge http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/ is less than adequate in many ways. An email interface for the phpDiplomacy trunk code that is command compatible with the judge interface would be a major benefit to the Internet Diplomacy hobby. A complete list of judge commands is available at http://www.asciiking.com/diplomacy/zaed/index.txt.

Additionally, a standardized output format that matches the nJudge would would allow phpDiplomacy to interact with utilities written for that platform including clients such jDip and DipTool as well as sites like floc.net and the BNC (Boardman Number) site under development.

Post subject: Re: Email Interface
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Yup this would definitely be a great feature to have, but I know nothing of njudge or even official rules syntax (since I wrote phpDip so no-one would have to deal with official rules syntax), so I would be the worst person to implement this or know how an implementation might work.

But I will add it to the todo list

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:35 pm 

kestasjk wrote:
I know nothing of njudge or even official rules syntax (since I wrote phpDip so no-one would have to deal with official rules syntax), so I would be the worst person to implement this or know how an implementation might work.

That's why I included a link to the command list. Of course I should have included this, too: http://www.asciiking.com/diplomacy/zaed/syntax.txt

The syntax document is the description of how movement orders are entered. The other one, index, was miscellaneous settings, most of which are not going to be compatible.

I fully intend to donate my own time on this, but I'm not as good at hacking PHP as I am with shell scripts and mail server configuration.

The first issue for email is actually outbound mail. Results, summaries and game listings are more important for using external utilities than parsing inbound mail... and much easier to implement. There's only a few hard cases like me who would actually rather type their orders. I use a lot of templates for creating games on the judge. They idea of scrolling down a screen to select the options I want one at a time fills me with inexplicable dread (hence my nick).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the phpdiplomacy.net goings on but I'm moving on from phpDip, and the purpose of this site is to provide a framework for other developers to work on phpDip. I'm going to be limiting myself to a role of managing the todo list, helping out with code questions, and fixing the most critical bugs, while I work on new projects rather than coding phpDip myself.

The downside is if no-one has the will and expertise to pull of a modification to phpDip (given all the info/specs needed via this site I hope) it won't get done, the upside is I'll get to work on some new projects and jobs rather continuing phpDip when I can't learn much more from it. (A big upside for me ;) )

It's a tradeoff but I think phpDip will survive under this model, the only question is will it develop further. Sorry if this wasn't clear before

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:15 pm 

You were perfectly clear in email. (I'm cbabcock - at - kolonelpanic - dot - something-I-can't-remember-if-you-have-org-or-com.) I forget things, so I might tend to respond to the immediate issue presented rather than the full context of available knowledge if you give "not my forte" as a reason instead of "the project is mostly mature" or somesuch.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:43 pm 

Hi!

It would be nice if every players gets an email as soon as a turn is made (time's up or everybody finalized).
The email could include either text-based events or the map.
This would speed up the game and some players can not check the site at their workplace but can receive emails.