forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 pm 

What happened to this?
I can see reasons why it should process instantly (which really wouldn't be hard to do, all that needs to be done is for gamemaster to process the single game and no others, saving the server load).
On the other hand, should the last person be given that short time just in case?

Either way, this should probably be implemented for drawing a game - there are a number of pause/draw complaints coming up on the main site.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:58 am 
Site Admin

Problem is there are significant (but not massive) performance problems with running gamemaster to process single games. I'd have to look at some stats to be sure, but from my experience on my dev server there seem to often be multiple games to be processed per 5 minute gamemaster process

Profiling showed that it takes about 20ms to get things set up, PHP parsed etc and header.php gone through (on my home system), and about 30ms on average for a full Diplomacy adjudication (sub-ms times for something like drawing a game).

Are people really complaining about the 5 minute wait period though? Seems odd, maybe people would be satisfied with just having a better idea why it is taking 5 mins

Not sure, it's a trade-off and I'm not sure of the cost/benefit, but with the performance of 0.9 in practice unknown at the moment, and potentially higher due to rich search and home-page notice queries, I'm not looking for places to sacrifice performance atm :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:14 am 

Sounds good, I quite like how it is anyway.
The only real issue is about drawing a game when it is paused. If the last player votes for a draw the game should draw, whether it's paused or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 pm 

Kestas et. al. Has anyone looked at setting up an independent process that monitors a message queue and would be the adjudicator? There'd be no startup times for each game as it would already have all of it's settings and be running, just jump into routine to process an individual game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:44 pm 

I haven't looked into the idea myself, but I can't imagine a continuous script would be very efficient in php?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

This'd be done using FastCGI, and would be a good way to have smaller processing delays without the performance hit, but I haven't looked into it yet. It would be ideal to have it at some point though