forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 am 

Hi kestas,

the use of github has really improved the update-possibilities.
I merged your code with mine in about 2 hours, and I did quite a lot of changes in many different places.

Now I just need to adapt to the new translation-system so my code is translatable too...
Can you give a small overview how this works?

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

No worried Oliver, git is a pleasure to use and github is a great extension of it..

Basically just take whatever text you want to be translatable and wrap it in l_t(). If it has a variable in the middle e.g. "Hello ".$username." how are you this fine ".$day replace it with l_t("Hello %s how are you this fine %s", $username, $day)

It's important that you only translate at the last possible moment before it hits the wire; i.e. do not translate territory names that are about to go into the database, or vote types that are about to be saved, only translate things which are just about to be output. This lets people change the translations on the fly, and not need to worry about incompatibility with the database due to translation.

There are some other functions that let people do similar substitutions on e.g. image files, so that they can translate map overlays (l_s() etc), and ones for javascript functions etc etc, but if you wrap your text in l_t() you're 99% of the way there.

edit: Another thing to note is you don't have to translate your code for it to be compatible with other translated code. A non-translatable variant will be a bit of a pain to someone who wants to use your variant on their translated site, but it will still work, and the person using your variant can still translate it the old fashioned way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm 

Okay, I read through locales/readme.txt and have one remaining question...

In lookup_examples.txt, it is alphabetized, but in two sections. Is there a reason for this?

If so, when adding new text to be mapped, how do I know which of the two sections to put it in?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, I'm not really sure why it comes in two parts Alderian, but bear in mind that is the import format, not the way the data is stored for use. You would copy and paste data like that into the admin control panel's locale import area, and it would then convert it into a PHP serialized array like the one in the Italian folder, so I wouldn't worry about the ordering of that file, it's more about the format.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:49 pm 

Okay, thanks!