forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:14 am 
Site Admin

The colors are apparently hard to distinguish for the color-blind, this should be changed without making the colors too different

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 pm 

Where are the color controls? In my customization efforts, I'm looking to modify the whole appearance to be bold, stark and high-contrast. Less pastels and sans. More primary colors and terminal fonts. I can suggest tweaks for the truck code or modifications to create a single point of maintenance while I'm working on my own site.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

Check out the layout section in developers to find where stuff is likely to be: http://www.phpdiplomacy.net/developers.php (if you want to find your way around

Specifically:
This is the code which gives the color data:
http://www.phpdiplomacy.net/doc/phpDoc/ ... p.html#a44

For modifying the way the map looks this is the class you'll want to play around with:
http://www.phpdiplomacy.net/doc/phpDoc/Map/drawMap.html

You may also want to edit map.php to disable map cacheing; maps don't get redrawn unless they need to be by default, so that needs to be disabled for tweaking colors etc
http://www.phpdiplomacy.net/doc/phpDoc/ ... .html#a121

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:59 pm 

Whats even harder for the colorblind is trying to figure out in the global tab who says what. Trying to match a statement with the little color of the text of the countries names at the top. A simple solution to that would be in the global tab, to add a 'Germany says:' or 'Germany:' before a line of text in global.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

The problem with that is that it takes up a lot of space; I think if we had to remove the color coding it'd be worse for a lot of people. I'm hoping there's a way to change the colors to better suit the color-blind without changing anything else :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 am 

Has this issue been addressed? I can't really tell by looking at the map since I'm not color-blind. I can look into finding a color-blind-safe palette if it's still an open issue. There seem to be some useful resources on the web:
http://www.visibone.com/colorblind/
I'm currently looking for a color-blind simulator to play with. That would be useful to have. Are there any color-blind users on this forum to help me check my work?

I guess there are a couple of ways to address the map issue:
1) Slightly tweak the colors, keeping the overall appearance roughly the same, while making the colors color-blind safe.
2) Implement an option to toggle to a "color-blind-safe mode" which just does a palette to swap to colors that do not necessarily resemble the originals.

I think option 1 would make more sense, since it would not require changing core code to implement some sort of toggle option. I guess it would simply involve changing some stored color values.

It's hard to quantify what "roughly the same" means. I'm trying to get a sense what it subjectively means. I guess, since the theme is sort-of like desaturated and pastel, the ideal tweaks would mainly focus on slight hue shifts while keeping the saturation and brightness levels relatively the same. However, if we are willing to play with saturation and brightness a bit, it may make the task easier.

As for the map issue, I think that keeping the color coding is a good idea regardless of what else is done to help the color-blind. The only issue is in the global chat. I guess instead of using the full power names, only the first letter is sufficient (i.e. using labels like "G:", "E:").

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:47 am 

Using E: and G: isn't enough for some variants where there are multiple countries that start with the same letter. For example the Chaos map where each supply center is its own player country. Instead, since we already have the logic to support using the country name followed by black text message, why not make that a user option? That way, if you need it or want it, you turn it on. If you don't, then you aren't impacted.

I thought at some point in the various discussions there was talk of a FireFox addon that allowed color blind people to map the colors themselves. Perhaps instead of changing the colors of the standard map and whatever other maps it would be better to just list the color values and mention using colorblind addons so that people can tweak it for themselves.

Part of my concern would be that one color scheme make work great for people that have one particular color blindness, but not help or even make worse another group of people with a different color blindness.

Just doing a search for firefox addons using the keyword of colorblind turns up two items:

ColorBlindExt - This extension helps color-blinds while browsing the web, by processing images and text on the page according to the type of user's color-blindness. Color Blindness detection test is included for creating awareness among people.

and:

Colorblind simulator - This extension is a powerful tool that can help webpage developers get an impression of how a webpage looks for people that have some sort of color vision deficit (e.g. Dichromacy). Approximately 10% of the people have color deficits, so it's ...

So there is a simulator for you if you use Firefox.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 am 

Thanks for the links, Alderian. The colorblind simulator extension didn't seem to be available for my platform or the recent Firefox version. I guess it's not actively maintained?
However, I was able to find another website that simulated colorblindness
http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/

It seems that the colorblind issue is quite tricky. As Alderian pointed out, it might not be possible to find a palette that is universally safe without drastically altering the colors. I uploaded the simulation results of the current map. It looks like Austria-Germany is not the only potential problem.

Attachment:
File comment: simulation with protanopia
Pro.jpeg
Pro.jpeg [ 15.57 KiB | Viewed 5061 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: simulation with dueteranopia
Deu.jpeg
Deu.jpeg [ 15.6 KiB | Viewed 5060 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: simulation with tritanopia
Tri.jpeg
Tri.jpeg [ 15.62 KiB | Viewed 5061 times ]

There are two areas where the colorblindness problem comes up: 1) the map and 2) the global chat. Here are my ideas on how each could be addressed.

Global chat: there is always the workaround of viewing the full message history and using ctrl+F on "To: Global", so this problem is probably not a huge deal, just an inconvenience (for live games, etc). Single letter labels like "A:" are sufficient for the three variants on this website. Alderian points out that a single letter is not sufficient for larger variants, but those could be easily handled with two or three letter abbreviations. It's ok to make variant creators specify the list of power name abbreviations. I disagree with Alderian's proposal to use black text in global chat with long labels. As Kestas pointed out, the color coding is probably helpful to many and there is no reason to remove it. Kestas also said that the main reason for not using long labels is that they would take up too much space. Single (or double/triple for some variants) letter labels, while keeping the color coding, seems like the most reasonable solution, if worthwhile at all given the message archive workaround.

Map: a slight palette tweak might not be possible. Drastically changing the palette would be undesirable. It may be better to rely on users to use browser extensions as opposed to writing the code to add the user option to toggle a palette switch. One simple workaround could be to provide a link at the bottom of the game page to view textual information describing unit placement and supply center ownership. Of course, a palette switch feature is something to keep in mind in the development of the client-side SVG map generation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:15 am 

To be honest, given the number of different colour blind options, those seem pretty good results to get.

I have to say this should have been solved over a year ago, but I didn't get my act together and have completely let down others here. If anyone takes on the SVG map code I created back then, it shouldn't take long to weave it into the site. It's almost completely finished anyway, just needs integrating.

Once that has been done making map colours customisable would be almost trivial.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:17 am 

Could you point me to your latest code?
I have no clue about SVG, but I'd give it a try to integrate it using the current variant-system.

Oliver