forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SVG Map
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:55 pm 

What happened to the SVG map that was proposed almost a year ago?
I think using one would solve many problems. I heard that support is not default in IE, but we still have the old maps that can be used anyway. Once supported, the close interactions that are possible with javascript can enable a complete change in how moves are entered, how the map is displayed, what is shown and a variety of other things.
Figlesquidge

I'm happy and indeed would quite like to take up the project, but what's the simplest way to convert them map to SVG in the most basic form. I obviously would rather not enter every arc and node manually!

Post subject: Re: SVG Map
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

I can't help with how the conversion would be done, but I think all the code changes could be done within the 0.8 drawMap class, which would make running both map types at the same time very simple

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 pm 

I've had a look around some programs, and when I have access to my other computer (may sadly take until friday) I'll have a look into converting the map. Anyone who wants a detailed explanation of all my idea's can contact me by email or msn at figlesquidge@gmail.com (if msn and you're adding me to put a message saying it's about diplomacy). Otherwise I'll look into it in rather more depth before revealing all my ideas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:26 pm 

Progress Report.
Life's been rather busy, but I've managed to put together some of the work, found here:
http://splinter98.com/fig/tester.php [EDIT: Requires SVG support, native in recent Opera/Firefox builds, Adobe Plugin for IE]
Depending when you read this there may be hundreds of alerts around, because I'm still working on it.
However, the reason behind this post is how should orders be displayed on the map?
I personally don't think putting a cross over failed orders is the most easily understood method, and leads to too many lines in the same area's. My current views:
Moves are solid lines
Supports are dashed lines, red and green for hold and move respectively
Convoys are solid blue lines.
Any failed order has Opacity 50% (or something around here, depending how it looks)
--
However, at other times I have thought that perhaps making everything out of solid lines would be simplest, and then making them dashed tells you the order failed.
What do you all think?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

As long as it implements the same interface as drawMap experiment with different styles etc all you want, just keep the colors the same since they're used all over the site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh just tested it out, that is very nice indeed, great stuff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:45 am 

Thanks Kestas.
At the moment it all runs off a single XML file which would be very easy to update. whilst the map file is quite large (I'll reduce it's size when my net next breaks!) both the map and javascripts are cached, so only the xml must be loaded by the drawmap interface.
Also, as part of making it with this style, I've added a transparent overlay to each territory, so once the map drawing is finished I'll start working on using javascript to fill out the order fields for you

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:57 am 

For some reason, I can't open the page you pointed out (it keeps loading it forever...). Anyhow I will try again in the future.

With the reference to using the opacity as a code, I feel this is problematic. We know from other threads that we have some users with visual impairments, so the double key (colour/shape) to read the map ought to be kept. In this direction, the idea of dotted lines for support rather than just yellow ones would be an improvement. Retreats could be done with a ~~~ or === line style perhaps, or maybe simply with different thickness?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:28 am 

Your website (splinter98) seems to be still down. I do not know if you still need this, but on some DIP site, months ago I found the attached map (SVG).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm 

Yes sorry, the server was also being used for downloading illegal torrent files (not by me) and so has been suspended.
I have a fully working diplomacy map in SVG don't worry, and when I have a little more time I'll finish writing the javascript to redraw it.Currently units,territories and create/destroy orders render, but I need to work on reducing the filesize of the map, and on drawing the arrows (shouldn't take long when i settle down and do it!)