forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Admin

The history function should pre-load the next/previous/first/last/large-map images before they're selected, so there's no load time if/when they are selected

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:27 pm 

Is this worth the bandwith hit? You'll end up with at least 4 times the data transfered per game view. How often are those images requested, anyway? Maybe the images are small enough, or maybe there's something about caching I'm not thinking of, just wondering if the net benefit is there. Perhaps this would be something that could be configured on a user by user basis in their profile?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Good point, perhaps a little loading icon or something would be better instead?

Someone on a slower connection has said that it's annoying how images don't change until they're loaded, so you can't tell when you're looking at the image being loaded or the previous one until you see a change.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:03 pm 

thewonderllama wrote:
Is this worth the bandwith hit?

The maps are only ~17KB. I'm running my own server with the functional equivalent of a fractional T1 line (384kps upload - use it or lose it). Bandwidth on Dreamhost is 5+TB/month. I don't think that either my server or phpdiplomacy.net would be in any danger of maxing out bandwidth even if we overnight became the busiest Diplomacy servers in the hobby with 700+ concurrent games each.

Something else that might help would be putting the phase on the maps. A compromise on bandwidth would be to preload the maps on mouseover.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

True, it's not really about the bandwidth as much as the extra connections and file reads which Dreamhost don't like, but yeah I don't think it would be a huge problem. I like the mouseover preload idea, but the phase is always the latest phase for the given turn (as if all phases are superimposed for a given turn).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:18 pm 

Maybe this is a very naïve idea (I don't know, I am not a programmer), but could a possibility be to load once for all a raster image of an empty map (that will be cashed by the browser) and per each turn simply download a vectorial image (on transparent background) that will be superimposed to the raster map? This way the downloaded amount of data per game turn would be no more than a bunch of bytes...