forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vote to Extend the Phase
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:43 am 

NOTE: This is my first post, so bear with me if it isn't up to par with the other ones.
I'm sure that anyone who's played in enough games has come across this problem: One person not voting for unpause will lag the game. First goes the hassle of getting everyone to pause, which can sometimes force alliances to be broken in a rather unfair manner as many countries will gang up on the last nation that hasn't voted pause. Then you sometimes have to wait what should be three phases, and yet the game continues to wait for one person who needs to click on unpause. There should be a way to extend the game by some number of phases. Similar to how you can vote for a Pause/Unpause, Draw, and Cancel, there should be a button to Extend the current Phase by one Length. ie, Let's say that you are playing a 20 hour phase game, every country could vote "extend" should, for example, Russia not be able to meet the current deadline, and this phase is scheduled to end 26th December 5:00 UTC, the dealline would then be 27th December 1:00.
I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, but I believe that an "Extend Phase" Button would help people.
Tommy
PS Merry/Happy Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Ramadan, Happy (insert any other holiday here), and a Happy New Year.
PPS I have no idea as to how the technicalities of this would work, but I'm sure that the genius(es) that put this site together will figure this out in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:29 am 
Site Admin

Happy xmas/new year ninjanrd, thanks for posting this detailed request.

This has come up before, and although I think it would be good (and mods can already do it) there are a couple of hurdles:

- The voting code works around the notion that you vote for or against something; i.e. you vote for a pause, or against a pause, not for a pause for x phases.

- How would it work from an interface perspective?

I think it could work if there was some fixed length by which phases could be extended, rather than it being a user-entered number. So in the votes list you would have "Draw", "Pause" and "Extend" (perhaps "Short extend" and "Long extend", for say 3x and 15x phase length).
Doing it that way, probably with different wording, would be fairly straightforward and practical, but if it needs changes to the voting system then it might not be realistic