forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deleting accounts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm 

I have not clue if this would be the place to post this, or if this is possible, but i think that there should be a way to delete accounts that someone doesn't want to use anymore. for example, i have gotten a lot better at webdiplomacy since i started last month, and i have a lot of loss's and unfortunately i now have a resign as well. i think i should be able to delete my account and start afresh so that there is not an inactive account just sitting there and it takes up a Username and a spot in the rankings...
Please reply

Post subject: Re: Deleting accounts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:39 pm 

Accounts can't be deleted: if they are then any games they played would not be able to find the player information of those in them.

A more reasonable solution would be a 'reset statistics' button. This may sound like a cop-out, but as we know people DO restart accounts when they're going badly. We could add a button allowing a user to clear his statistics, then they would build up again from that date. Would require another field on the user, time-stamping the last time the button was pressed, and a slight change to the statistics SQL query.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:32 pm 

indeed this may be true, i just think it would be a good idea, because people create multiple accounts which defeats the purpose of the rating system.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:18 am 

Well you're saying we should allow them to make new ones and completely remove the previous - how would this be any better?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:25 pm 

I have a known spam account that I would like to delete. I have banned that account, but I'd prefer to delete it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:29 pm 

Well I guess an admin-only option would be sensible enough, but even then you're running a massive risk.
A game with a deleted player in it, whether finished or otherwise, would fail to load and instead output an error.

That said, perhaps another system account could be made called 'Account Deleted', then this could be put in their place as part of the deletion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:32 pm 

Ooh, I like that idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 pm 

This does sound like a good idea. However, i now see your point. my reasoning for thinking that there should be a possibility is because i recently recieved a resign in my one game because my internet closed out on me while i was in the middle of a live game. But if everyone went around deleting their accounts every time they got a resign, there would be almost no possible way to hove a good ranking system because nobody would keep a defeat on their record.