forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: time= thread option
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:54 pm 

The gameID, threadID and userId options are all really useful, and I was just thinking this would be another good one.
It would take a standard format input (possibly hh:mm or hh:mm-dd/mm/yy) and parse it as a timestamp. Having done this displaying the text it would be translated into the viewers timezone.

Post subject: Re: time= thread option
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 pm 

Also very (if not more) useful would be url=
Again self explanatory, would make it much easier to link outside the site.
Having said this I can see how it *might* be abused. Adding the no-follow attribute should be enough to deal with that though. Definitely worth adding.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 am 

both good ideas.

Might be an idea to allow Mods to edit/delete posts though, if we are going to give people the ability to link outside the site (spam links/inappropriate links)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm 

That's a fair point. Given all it would take to keep an eye on perhaps not then for url.
However you make a good point : edit/delete/quarenteen posts would be very useful. Recently the main forum had an inappropriate thread that survived for around a week before we were able to get it removed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:30 pm 

I don't think monitoring the forum should be too much of a problem. I read quite a high proportion of it, as do you, figle, I guess, so it wouldn't be much more work to read all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:37 pm 

On the board I'm a mod on, there is a "report as inappropriate" link that anyone can click. Then mods can then go to a page that lists the posts that are marked as inappropriate and chose to delete the post or unmark it. This is very handy because we don't have to read every single post.

One potential downside is if someone goes crazy and marks lots of posts as inappropriate then you've got extra work cleaning up. You could limit the reporting function to posters that have been around for some amount of time. And you can make it clear that going crazy with the report button/link isn't acceptable. But then you'd also need to make it clear what is inappropriate.

Just a thought. Might be more useful if the forum had a higher level of traffic where keeping up with every single post was just about impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 pm 

Yes, I've seen that quite a lot around the place.
To be fair more important would just be any way to get rid of inappropriate comments from the mod level.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:50 am 
Site Admin

To be honest I prefer not having mod control over the forums, since there has been at least one case where I was linked to a thread that a mod thought should be removed but I thought it shouldn't. For all the thousands of threads only a handful have needed moderation, so I think for now it's okay

I think the time idea isn't bad, though recognizing dates and times correctly is tricky. The formats may be different, a time may be associated with a date and adjusting the time may not adjust the date. An explicit time= tag would resolve that though
Also it'd require times be converted to GMT before the user submits them, since we don't store timezone info about users so the server couldn't tell what timezone the submitted time referred to, and that wouldn't be as simple as threadID etc, but it is doable

A URL tag does come with some security concerns as you mentioned, but again it's doable, so I'll get around to these eventually hopefully