forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pregame global chat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:40 pm 

A lot has changed since I took a step back (for the good I add!).
The one thing that I think is really missing is access to the global chat during the pregame phase.
This is particularly useful if you are starting an anonymous game as you can talk freely without risk of your nation being identified. Then, once players are shuffled no-one knows it was you.
As a personal preference I would like to see the names of players who've joined my anon game during the pregame phase, but maybe thats just me and certainly shouldn't be compulsory (optional?)

Post subject: Re: Pregame global chat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 am 
Site Admin

It'd be good as a way to warm up and discuss with the players you're about to chat to, less than for strategy because countries aren't assigned until after the pre-game phase.

The problem is technical; game messages are by country, not by user, so before countries are assigned it's hard to differentiate between players. I could work around it in the same way I do for moderators (post as gamemaster, then add the username to the beginning of the message), so I'll add that to the todo list

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:20 pm 

Ah true. In that case this same method could be expanded to allow something I posted in Ideas - let people in anon games post as themselves to Global, as otherwise if you want to request a pause etc you have to give away your identity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:45 pm 

On a related note, are messages still colored on webDiplomacy? I changed the format of my messages to, for example:

[England]: message text
[Gamemaster] (gilgatex): more message text

with just [England] being colored. All readable text is black (this became quite a problem with maps with 34 players, all with a different color, some of which are very similar). It's a very popular change and makes it much easier to read. I don't think it would be much of a technical difficulty to change pre-game chat with my future chat patch. I may even include this suggestion in the patch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 pm 

Hmm, I quite like having it coloured. For 7 players it works fine, and makes it much easier to follow at a glance. However, perhaps both could be done to allow for those who can't follow the colours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:39 am 

What about leaving it colored but still adding the country name? Still helps the colorblind and helps with 34 player variants with similar shades, but also still leaves the color coded text. Or maybe make it a user option which way to display it: Colored text only, colored country name followed by black text, or country name and text in color.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 pm 

Yes, could do that, although personally I'd find the names rather annoying. I'm unlikely to be doing much more than traditional map games anyway, and the names would just make reading it harder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 am 

Thus make it a user option and a variant option. So some users like DingleberryJones can always have it turned on for all games, while others would only have it turned on for variants that have a high number of players. The user option could be On, Off, or Variant-based. On would force it on for all of their games. Off would force it off for all of their games. Variant would allow it to be on if the variant was setup to use it but otherwise would be off.