forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Instant Messaging
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:52 pm 

I was working on making the taskbar flash and I found another bug: the timestamps will always show from the time zone of the last person to write a message or refresh a tab. I plan to fix it, but just a warning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 pm 

On second thought, don't use this patch yet :D . I'll have another one within a week or so that will be better tested and more complete. Feel free to peek at it if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm 

Ok, in full working order now. It will even notify of new messages via the taskbar if the window is not in focus.

http://careyj.com/dippatches/iming.tgz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:21 pm 

Current testing is going very well for this. I've fixed a couple of bugs and made some improvements to the "online" notifications. I'm also working on the ability to "pop out" the chat window so you can chat and view your board/orders at the same time easier.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Great work, do you think it's ready to put it into the main branch or are bug fixes still trickling in at a fairly steady rate?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 pm 

So far the pop out works with everyone. There is one bug I'm still agonizing over, and that is that the "online" icon doesn't always go away. It's hard to test since I have to wait to see what browser people are using, and also have to wait for the 60-minute session timeout to test the gamemaster script.

Also, in testing, I have had a request to make the "new message" icons underneath the map disappear as well, not just on the tabs and game info boxes, so I want to get that done before the big release as well.

It's safe to assume that no one would even get to the board page unless they have javascript enabled, right? The reason I ask is that if a client doesn't have javascript enabled, they won't be able to chat at all because Send was changed from "submit" to "button" with an onClick.

I'm just asked all the testers what browser they are using now, so many have not responded yet. But I know that, so far, what I have works in FF3.0, FF3.5, IE7.0, Palm Pre (mobile), and Google Android (mobile).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:39 am 
Site Admin

That's fine gilgatex, if a huge improvement means a few really obscure browser won't work that's fine (and a user-agent check could always be used to work around it anyway)