forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:56 am 
Site Admin

figlesquidge wrote:
In my opinion the homepage could do well with the 'less is more' attitude.

I agree, really what I've done is make the functions to gather the information for the home page first to see if it gave me some layout ideas, but unfortunately not :(

The reason for having so much info is for guests and new users; for these users the home page needs some "padding" so get users looking at the existing content and so their page doesn't look bare. As users have more of their own stuff to fill the page the hall of fame stuff, active posts, etc will disappear to make way for stuff that's relevant to them.

Quote:
People alerts go in the main column, definately. I would put each section of things in a folding javascript box or tabs (but I know we differ on that view!) so that it stays neat. Each folding box would have a heading, possibly a description, followed by list/table of the items. Each item would be in the standard phpDip grey, with :hover to the other shade of grey used, helping people know which they're looking at. Clicking opens up the relavant game etc.

Hmm, really what I'd like is to get a real "at-a-glance" page, so people get a birds eye view of their account. If people can view the home page and see pretty much everything that has happened since they last visited that'd be ideal

Having users click on things to expand them would neatly fit more info in, but if you're going to drill into the sub-sections to get more info you might as well open the forum/hall-of-fame/my games tab instead. I agree with the tabular format and phpDip gray scheme etc

Quote:
I started writing a more in-depth answer to the problem, but decided I needed to step back and let it sink in a bit more first.

It is a tricky problem I think, even Facebook's home page always changes and people hate it when it does. I'm interested in more in-depth thoughts

figlesquidge wrote:
Those multi-colour bars - are you going to blend them? It looks really strange to me at the moment, but if the merges are softened it would look really good.

Not sure what you mean. Reminds me of those old viral vids though, "The new layout is good, but will it blend? That is the question" :lol:

I'd like to hear what you think looks strange about it, I'm hoping people see it and will immediately grasp what it is (as well as adding a bit of color and making some use of the wider horizontal space)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Chrispminis wrote:
Wow, this looks great. The only page I think really needs improvement is the home page. It's so full of text, and I agree that I think it could do with less information, so as to be a more convenient "home".

Glad we're on the same page there, definitely some info needs to be cut out and some needs to be added. Less sections but richer info in each section probably

Quote:
I don't think the HoF and Featured Games in the sidebar is really necessary.

I agree, the reason they're there is that the home page also shows for non-members, so at the moment member and non-member information are both being displayed. For new users the left hand area contains the intro and the right hand area will have the stats, and maybe recent forum posts, to show visitors that the server is active

Quote:
What I would like to see is a list of your active games ordered from least time left in phase (which is awaiting your orders) to most time left in phase, displayed with the time left in phase, perhaps in different formats depending on how little time is left, ie. bold or alert red. This could be incorporated somehow into the tab system at the top that we currently have, or make it part of the home page. Either way works.

Hmm, interesting. What about forum messages, notices and PMs though? If the home page were to contain only game info the game listings could be used instead (it is also ordered by time remaining until next process now)

Anyway thanks for the input guys, all input is helpful in thinking this page through

Attachments:
File comment: Guest home
Untitled picture2.png
Untitled picture2.png [ 145.21 KiB | Viewed 2646 times ]
File comment: New profile
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture.png [ 73.08 KiB | Viewed 2646 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 pm 

I understand Kestas,... glad to help though. :)

Would you like me to do a complete rehash
of all my recent suggestions per 'web page' (topic)?...

Quote:
Hmm, really what I'd like is to get a real "at-a-glance" page, so people get a birds eye view of their account. If people can view the * Home * page and see pretty much everything that has happened since they last visited that'd be ideal

I know, ... was so elated when I saw that you guys were on this!
Here, I'd say More is Best.!.

The recent updates look real nice!
But some fine-tuning ... along the lines aforementioned...

*Objective*

Place above the 'games numbers' column (on left)
"WebDiplomacy Games" or "wedDiplo Games"

*Color scheme: flat grey-blue is ok, but a tad cold for a HOT Game!
( That's why I mentioned 'light-sand' ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:26 pm 

* Board *

The message thread REALLY SHOULD be lastest listed first, on top, not at bottom of...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:29 pm 

I'm not totally convinced by the multicoloured line- blue would fit better imo.

I think the forum should be integrated with some of the things from the homepage, because it is, I think, where most people actually bookmark etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 am 

I'd bckMark straight into Home or Games.
Forum is fine, but it's not the 1st. thing
someone finds your site for, it's to play Diplo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:52 pm 

I like the forum messages thing, and obviously if you have a PM system installed, that would be great for the home page. To be honest, I don't use the games listing to see how much time I have left in a phase because there's so much information on it, and I can't see at a glance how much time is left in each game. I usually just check each one in turn because it's only slightly more effort and gives me a view of the map. If you'd put above the Hall of Fame just a simple sidelist of all games with just titles of the game and hours left in phase in order (taking into account whether an order is required or not, like the top tabs).

The Hall of Fame can stay if it's meant to take up space for new players, but it should be pushed downward by other more useful stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:29 pm 

The only things I look at on the site are my tabbar with it's reminders (I'd love to be told when a new phase starts, even if i dont have orders by the way), my profile page for an easy game listing and the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:38 pm 

Lummis wrote:
I'd bckMark straight into Home or Games.
Forum is fine, but it's not the 1st. thing
someone finds your site for, it's to play Diplo.

Agreed. My bookmark points to gamelistings.php.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:54 am 

Good thing Kestas, that you've ask here in the player's forum for additional input, that I've rehashed (other than the Dev. forum where some of the ideas have already been talked about somewhat)... Thus this push to get the *Home* page going, w/ everything linking from there, it's the most appropriate place to put all a player should be able to see & use.

!!! Copy-pasted from Player's Forum !!!

*Home* page suggestions rehash in this thread.

I'd completely change the main tab links on top

Home page would be your profile page

Each game could show a current map, even in a mini-size

Watched games (means, a new page, also: *Watch games*, with a link in *Games*)

Time left in each active game per time left "phase ends in [time] [am/pm] [timezone]" caption. -- Just the name of the game and the hours left, in ascending order so the most urgent is at the top.

Other players currently online in the games playing (Online 'opponents')

Tracked forum threads

Threads in which I've recently participated

Hall of fame, in a link (has it's own page) ... HoF with the top 100 points and the top 100 Ghost rating players would be good, & everybody else (to access 'unknown' players)

player 'black'lists, (I had sugg. a few categories & comment box!)

NMR (and ghost rating?) for each player on their profile page

link : "How to Play" (in Help?)

add a small $ icon, with the total amount donated

...don't think there should be forum posts on this page, just private and gamemaster messages --> maybe just tagged threads? or none (a link to...)

system messages - bulletins to all the players, i.e. ' we're going to do an upgrade next week'

The forum would be a complete forum

Boxes would be strictly same size (?where, aren't they already?)

Colours for the different times left are: Green: Over Half a phase left, Red: Less than 1 hr left, Orange: Between 1 hr and half a phase left. no new message from a country, is ... greyed out

"featured games", i guess - a GM prefered to show to players And/Or a played 'voted' best of current games...?

clicking on a particular message icon below a country opens their message box, clicking the one at the top opens global.

What Mr. Birsan suggested is more for the Help/Tutoring page ;-)

stats/lists that let them know the site is active, the intro, etc. It'll replace the forum as index.php so will be where new users arrive

*board*

number of units each player has / beside number of SC's (U/SC)

in the move history page... it would be GREAT if you could indicate which moves succeeded, failed, cut, or were void. this is something that will greatly help.