forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:19 pm 

Would it be very difficult to incorporate the separate drop-down for via convoy/land into the main move-to target list?

Since I'm Turkey in all my games, I'm constantly seeing Con-Bul, followed by a separate list for convoy/land. It would be very convenient if the drop-down simply included two options... Bulgaria via convoy and Bulgaria via land. I think I've seen this elsewhere? (Or maybe it's when there is only a convoy option? But not always?)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:21 pm 

My personal view is that in the destination box (the one you're talking about) you should enter 'via convoy', and only then be presented with the convoy options. The best thing about this would be that it would in many cases reduce the number of move options given. For example, an army in Belgium could, may end up with around 8 useless convoy options, simply because there's a northern naval battle going on. These are almost never used, and would be neater out the way. Moreover, I think that putting the 'via convoy' element in there is more in keeping with the feel of the order input system
On an efficiency side I'm not sure (sorry, I've forgotten since being told) how the system calculates valid orders. However, if convoys were not calculated until someone first asked for one it would probably lead to a reduction in server load because most of the time people don't want to convoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:46 pm 

I like that. I was also going to suggest adding "move via convoy" to the action list (hold, move, support, etc.) for territories with coastal borders. Same thing really, you could defer checking for valid convoy options, and if there weren't any, simply change the order to a regular move by land. Heck, you could even do move by land / move by convoy for coastal territories (as long as you're stretching out the select box with the text)...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm 

Yes, thats another option, and is how i was going to implement it on the SVG map, which will portions of a javascript adjudicator built into it to work out possible orders. Seems silly to download a pre-written list of convoys, but equally ludicrous to work them all out on a players pc needlessly!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 pm 

I'm all for using client-side processing power... that's something I'm trying to get across to the younger programmers where I work (I'm Sr. Architect for ... one of the biggest financial firms in the world, let's leave it at that). Everybody is all about server-side-everything these days, while desktops have more processing power than they've ever had in history, mostly wasted on YouTube and Outlook...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

Duly noted, the via-convoy thing could be less clunky, but it's a bit of a DATC-test relic. I can't remember what exactly, but there's something about the current via-convoy functionality that the DATC tests require

Not saying it can't change becauseof that, but that's why it is that way; it has to mimic text-based order entering closer than I'd like for the DATC