forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: order summary simulation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 pm 

May be this should be posted in the Complete Order Summary thread, but I felt it's a little bit different from what is discussed there.

What if after entering your orders (when you're ready to finalize them) you could visually display them on the map? That would make checking for correctness much easier, especially when you have a lot of units. Special button ("Simulate" or something like this) could be introduced for that - in would appear along with "Finalize" button when orders are ready.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:32 am 

Should be an option on the SVG map.
I'm hoping that the finished SVG map will:
  • Render the map locally, reducing server load (done)
  • Allow you to show/hide certain elements, such as failed orders (done)
  • Allow you to change the colours of different elements, particularly noticeable for those with colour troubles
  • Act as an alternative order input method (started, got to sort out convoy's)
  • Show your orders.
  • Allow you to place units/ownerships on a local map. In future it might even be possible up upload this to the website as a startup situation for a varient game (if for example you wanted to play a 1v1 starting in Paris&Moscow)
  • Test any set of orders locally to see what would happen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Admin

That'd be sweet, but it'll only be a client-side thing like fig suggests not server-side, since game processing uses too many resources

(Also fig learn from my mistakes and try to aim for a low starting point for a release; it doesn't have to be a javascript version of jDip before you release it!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:34 pm 

Haha, not mistakes, teaching!
I'm now into my last week of exams, and it occured to me Kestas: would you like to put the new map version into 0.9? It can't currently do the order calculations etc, but it draws happily and should cut back server load...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'd very much like a version of the map which draws without accepting or making orders, but 0.9 has a finalized todo list which Im definitely not gonna add to

But 0.9 does have a feature for outputting XML for a map, so hopefully once 0.9 comes out we'll be able to add on an SVG map without orders without much difficulty