forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 am 

I've enhanced the server with a configurable setting to restrict signups to a single domain. For my private server, I wanted to restrict signups to only those folks with an @ourdomain.com account, so that's the code I've implemented here. When the setting is 'false', the server acts just like webdiplomacy.net and allows any email domain to sign up.

I believe under the terms of AGPL, I'm compelled to contribute my enhancements back to the community. I'm not sure how to proceed - the changes affect several files including the config.php (which I'd prefer not to share :) ). What is my next step?

Thanks
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:04 am 

I took a diff of a stock 0.94 pre-install image and a pre-install image with my changes applied. The diff seems to have picked up a bunch of garbage, and I'm not sure what options to pass it to restrict it to just the lines in the four files I changed. Pointers are welcomed :) My syntax was 'diff -r stock-directory edited-directory'.

Actual changed files:
- lib/auth.php
- objects/user.php
- register.php
- config.sample.php

Other changes in this package: fixed the 0.94 bug where jsonSecret doesn't exist in config.sample.php.

--Matt

Attachments:
File comment: Diff which includes my private-signups work.
PrivateServer.diff.zip [5.46 KiB]
Downloaded 155 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work, I'll copy across the JSON fix. Is anyone else interested in restricting access using e-mail address though? I think that'd be a bit of a niche feature

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm 

Fair enough :) I'm not sure of the best way to keep my custom features integrated to the main code base, while still getting the latest version of the codebase as they come out, though. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:09 am 

Another way of perhaps accomplishing the same thing would be to require each new user to be authorized by a mod. So you put in your email address and it gets validated, the person creates their username/password/etc.. but they are put in the system as an unapproved user where they are still treated as a Guest and not a User. When a mod logs on, they would see a link indicating there are some unapproved new players and that would take them to a page where they could see the list, including username, email, and another link to check for multi-accounting. They could then either approve, changing the account from Guest to User, or decline, changing the account from Guest to Banned. They could also use the listed email to contact the person to talk with them before deciding, perhaps with a way of flagging it on the list showing that a particular mod is checking on the person. Or something like that.