forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:14 pm 

I have a really big problem.
Sometimes a game does not write the MoveArchive and the Terrarchive database.
Because of this the maps are empty (all territories neutral, no units). But the wD_Units and wD_Territories entries are ok.
So everybody can enter his commands and next turn it works without problems.

It looks like random, and I have no clue where to search for the cause.
It happens to "every" game, regardless if the variant changes some game-processing or not.

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Admin

Could have sworn I responded to this..

Basically the only difference between those tables is that one uses MyISAM and the other InnoDB. The first conclusion would be that it mistakenly thinks that a rollback has occurred and so wipes the archive tables (but even then it should only wipe the archive data for a turn when it's about to be replaced new data, as a precaution).

Without any pattern or debugging info, and no way to reproduce it or instances of it occurring elsewhere, I'm really stumped as to what to do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:09 am 

kestasjk wrote:
(but even then it should only wipe the archive data for a turn when it's about to be replaced new data, as a precaution).

Without any pattern or debugging info, and no way to reproduce it or instances of it occurring elsewhere, I'm really stumped as to what to do

It's only the data for one turn. That's right.

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Admin

I mean it should only wipe data from an archive for a turn which is just about to be written into the database from the non-archive tables. If it fails after it has wiped the archive turn the non-archive tables should roll back, and just get reprocessed without any problems

Is it possible you're closing the transaction before the game has finished processing? Some weird types of query can do this without an explicit commit/rollback statement (e.g. changing tables and things)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:00 pm 

It's happening on variants that did no changes to your processing code at all (eg. the Worldmap or the AncientMed)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

I wish I could offer more help, but if I can't reproduce it and it has never happened on the official server I'm not sure what I can do other that offer possible changes that might have caused such a problem. I'd be interested in how frequently, whether it happens during busy times, whether users reported seeing anything, whether the error logs had anything in them, whether immediately after a game gets corrupted the field values for the game were in a certain way as to suggest an area of code during which it must have stopped executing, etc. I don't know what more help I can give, if you think of something let me know

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:28 am 

My webhoster use an extra SQL-server for the databases somewhere else in his network.
Maybe it takes to long to complete the SQL-request and the code does not wait till the database-transaction is finished.

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 am 

I just checked my table structure.
It looks like every database is a MyISAM, but on my dev-server some are InnoDB.
Does this mean something?
Just checked, looks like my web-provider does not support InnoDB at the moment... :-(

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

That's definitely not good, the most important tables are InnoDB because InnoDB is the only way MySQL allows proper ACID compliance (without which any failure half-way through processing will result in corruption). In fact I'm surprised it let you install at all, and that you haven't had more serious problems already. You need InnoDB support to run webdiplomacy reliably. :shock:

edit: For a host that supports it I strongly recommend Dreamhost, they're the guys that host us. They're not perfect, but I've tried quite a few web hosts and they're by far the best, and they have some good deals to get you started (I can give you a code for $95 off your first bill, it works out very cheap)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 am 

got the same problem.