forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 am 

If anyone is interested I am writing some essays on the key issues here, to make my point clear and well formed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 am 

Of course I am interested, but what did you mean with your previous message? IF (anybody is intereseted...) THEN ...???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 am 

Then I will type them up/scan them. I like to do my writing by hand in a fairly quaint script.

The first is entitled "On Points and People"; the second, which I am about to write is called "On Magic Numbers".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:27 am 

If it's any consolation ghost, rating agencies like moody's and fitch have enough trouble getting their systems straight, and they are definitely not understood by all, as the last financial crisis has shown us. It's not a simple task.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:14 pm 

I haven't been thinking about rating systems for months now, and haven't been thinking of integrating it more closely with webdip for well over a year, since Kestas was dead against the idea in '08, I more or less accepted his decision. This was initially intended largely as a refutation of his position, but I'm not really interested in getting official support, since the current system more or less works

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 am 

The current system works great as a measure of economic value in order to keep the quality of the games high (less CDs etc) but it doesn't quite achieve the same thing as a rating system, which gives "merit" or status, the same addictive quality that game addicts and fans aspire for.
In other words, Ranking/Status is different from Financial Worth. DP solves the latter, but the former utility is only currently satisfied by the GhostRating rank or perhaps by the League membership. (it is also represented by proxy in ones 'Title' on the site, but it is currently just a 'proxy' as it is linked to your available DP count and decreases if you use them to play games)

I believe that there is a need for both a Rank, and an economic currency. Ranking systems are a better measure of skill, and is useful for sorting and arranging leagues and tournaments, where the currency should not play a factor.
It is used to keep games at equivalent skill levels so that the tournaments or other competitions are balanced. This is exactly akin to how the golf handicap system works. (in fact, the GR system is extremely similar to how the JPGA calculates handicaps.) Levelling the playing field is important.

Where the currency and betting becomes important is, as Kestas has mentioned, in keeping people from joining too many games or holding little or no vested capital in them, so they CD more often, it also allows a way for experienced players to keep unexperienced players out of their games and ruining them. But it does suffer some weaknesses, for example:

High Volatility
1) 7 players around 1000 dp each all play in a 500dp WTA game, the winner jumps up 3500, catapulting them into games where they can play with much higher ranked players where the rest may now be delegated to playing with noobs to get back to where they started. Arguably, each of these losers are not any worse players because of the loss and the winner is not anything more than marginally better because of his win, if we are speaking about skill level or experience.

Point inflation
2) As the currency system is essentially (well not really, but almost) a zero sum game, then their are fewer players an the top end of the range and the distribution of scores is by no means exponentially distributed throughout the population (as it should be). Past a certain point, the DPs don't mean anything anymore....(say for users with 5000+). What incentive do they have to "keep their game up and remain the king of the hill"? And it also means that you can stand to surpass a player in dp rank by just getting lucky in one big high stakes game.

I guess what I am saying is that the DP currency system is excellent for what it tries to achieve, and that is control of the economy of the site, and ensuring a level of quality in the game. What is missing (and thus an opportunity to supplement the DP currency system) is a ranking system, which weighs the quality of a gamer vis-a-vis his peers.
This is a measure of respect, of merit, and of skill in the game. (as opposed to prudent management of one's "currency" DPs)

What about something as simple as this:
-Take the current GR rating system as is, (I don't see any need to modify from it's present form), explain its calculation method on the site, and have the GR rank shown on one's profile page. GR is calculated on a daily basis (I imagine that real time would be too CPU intensive) and updated only then.
-Make the current Titles (puppet, -- mastermind) be based on the GR ranking.
-Use GR ranking to seed tournaments and Leagues.
-Continue to use DP points to determine game bets, and have a use for DPs, for instance, by spending some DPs, a user can have first PICK of which country they want to play, (or priority choice, over lower DP players), or perhaps "unlock" the use of other variants open only to those who spend DPs.