forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:18 am 

The question has been brought up whether it keeps with the spirit of PPSC that draws reward the players equally with points, whereas the effective secondary objective of the game (the one that is aside from winning) is to maximize SC gain.

Quote of the current posts in the forum:

Quote:
Do draws include all survivors?
Sent from: EdiBirsan (75 ) Sent: 07:32 PM
On this site, do all draws include all survivors?
For example England has 16 and Turkey has 16 and Germany has two. Can the Germans elect to agree to a two way draw between England and Turkey.
Or is it that the draw must include all survivors and then England and Turkey would have to wipe out the Germans in order to get to a two way draw?

As background, numerous Face to Face tournaments have different rules on how votes are take (some are open like here or secret)
some votes require that 30 or 29 centers be in the majority others require a unanimous vote to pass anything,
some say you can vote yourself out of a draw
some say that there is a minimum number of centers or time past before a game can be voted to an end.
some have no concept of a draw at all but only have the vote to end the game.

What are the exact details here?

Sent from: kestasjk (207 ) Sent: 07:42 PM
In a draw the points are split evenly amongst all survivors, which must all agree to a draw, regardless of how many SCs each one has

If it's getting silly with someone not agreeing and the board in a deadlock for a long time it may get drawn despite the objections of one player

Sent from: sean (1647 ) Sent: 07:43 PM
All surviving parties must agree to the draw. Also points are divided equally...or that was meant to be the case but maybe points are divided based on SC totals.
all parties get a "draw" in their profile page.

Sent from: alamothe (2182 ) Sent: 07:44 PM
> but maybe points are divided based on SC totals.

stop spreading misinformation please
Sent from: sean (1647 ) Sent: 07:50 PM
that was why i put the "maybe " in there

Sent from: Centurian (82 ) Sent: 08:51 PM
Really? That seems really unfair. I'm currently trying to force a draw but I need to maintain a Russian armies hold in St.Petersburg. Even if he gets the same draw he surely shouldn't get the same points as the other two players.

Sent from: Caviare (100 ) Sent: 09:10 PM
There is another philosophy Centurian: the number of supply centers a player holds in a draw is irrelevant. If one player doesn't think another player deserves to share equally in a draw, then the option is open to the first player to continue the game and defeat that second player. If the second player can't be defeated then he deserves to share equally in the draw.
Personally I don't think this philosophy is consistent with PPSC, only with WTA. It means in PPSC the player in second place may stand to gain more points by allowing the player in first place to win rather than agreeing to a draw.
Sent from: You Sent: 09:14 PM
It is true that in PPSC, the players have all agreed to join a game where the goal is to win, and if that is not possible, to maximize SC's. In WTA, the 1st place winner gets all the pot, which is shared in a draw as many players tie for 1st place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:20 am 

Now for my views:

I believe that in PPSC, the game should remain PPSC in nature and the points should be allowed per supply centre, as implied in "Points Per Supply Center." For WTA, as the members still with units at the time of a draw are all 'winners' the rewards should be shared equally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:08 am 
Site Admin

I remember in a discussion a while back the consensus was that points should be split evenly amongst survivors even in PPSC games. I originally had the same views as you but it turned out most disagreed

I wouldn't mind changing it if everyone agreed it should be changed, but I definitely don't want the terms for a draw to be user-specified on a case by case basis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:56 am 

kestasjk wrote:
I remember in a discussion a while back the consensus was that points should be split evenly amongst survivors even in PPSC games. I originally had the same views as you but it turned out most disagreed

I wouldn't mind changing it if everyone agreed it should be changed, but I definitely don't want the terms for a draw to be user-specified on a case by case basis

Hmm, I think looking into this again my reveal a new opinion out there since the rise of WTA.

Case-by-case is a definite progression away from making the game accessible (which is the point right?), by adding even more information to an already dense experience for new players.