forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Server Demand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 pm 

Can I ask about the limits on server demand that there are for rating systems? I am thinking about making an implementable version of Ghost-rating, and would like to know how much of a database or how much processing power it would be viable to require.

Post subject: Re: Server Demand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:06 am 
Site Admin

As long as all functionality is O(1) it should be okay, though server load isn't necessarily the only reason such a patch wouldnt be accepted, you know better than anyone how contentious ranking systems are

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:37 am 

I am fully aware of that, but I wanted to start somewhere simple and clear cut.

All functionality as integers... ok, thanks. Does that include anything involved in the calculation, if it is rounded afterwards?

Edit: If I had 105 numbers needed per game, would that be acceptable (They could be deleted afterwards, obviously)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

O(1) means no iteration or looping should occur, at any time only one piece of data should be acted on. As long as it sticks to that it'll probably add a negligible performance hit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 am 

oh Right, I see.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:16 pm 

A proposal that it would be more interesting IMO would be to make an XML incremental service accessible on phpDip, so that TGM could pull the data when needed and having the ranking on a different server. (Eventually phpDip could poll the ranking back from the external server via another webservice, should kestas ever get convinced by another ranking system).

This would have a broad set of advantages, from greatly reducing security risks to have basically no additional workload for phpDip server. This would also make possible for other devs with other proposals of algorithm to have concurrent alternatives to the ghost-ranking system, so that comparison and cross-pollination would be possible.

The only BIG downside looking at the "todo" list of the .83 is that creating an XML service from the scratch is probably more work than the entire of that list... :-/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 am 

Also that adding Ghostrating or the like internally would only require a little more work an another few database values.
If you added an xml feed, what would it limit to? I guess you could have a variable to say the gameID you last processed, but even then there's real potential for it to be abused.