forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cumulative Points
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:13 pm 

Personally, I really like the points system.
However, it would be really nice to see a players total points on their profile page and as another option on the hall-of-fame.
How this would be calculated is an interesting question, but leading options are:
  • [Banked points] + [entered game pot totals]/7
  • [Banked points] + [entered game pot totals]/[currently alive players]
  • [Banked points] + [PPSC games]*[Ratio of SCs per game] + [WTA game]/[currently alive players]
  • [Banked points] + [PPSC games]*[Ratio of SCs per game] + [WTA pots where player leading]
  • [Banked points] + [For each game]*[Ratio of SCs per game]
So as not to burden the server too heavily, I promote the first one.
The third is probably the most accurate prediction, although the last must be quite accurate also

The other option would be to add another integer field to a players data and keep this value in there. Then, whenever a game processes, changing a players net worth, this field could be updated. The greatest advantage of this is that the points displayed beside a players name could use this value, as would the hall-of-fame. This would allow the points to be used as a more accurate ranking system, without loosing their primary function of controlling what games a player can or cannot enter

Post subject: Re: Cumulative Points
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm 

Whilst I disagree with the points system in principle, I can say that this is necessary if you want to improve it.

The most important thing is to work out how to calculate it. Disregarding pressure on the server (because I am no programmer), I would like to suggest this:

In WTA, for the most accurate answer I would use the system suggested by A Calhammer on pages 12-13 of this Diplomacy World:

http://www.diplomacyworld.net/pdf/dw2.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

At the moment in the latest 0.83 profile.php there is quite a lot of extra stats added to give a clearer picture of a players points, though I haven't added any of it to the hall of fame because it is DB intensive stuff to calculate and would need some sort of caching to be done to all users at a time

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm 

Couldn't you just add an extra field to a users database entry, and cache their current net value in there. Then, whenever a games 'value' changes, this field could be modified.
If this creates an issue about database size, you could use this field only, and then when a player wants to find out how many 'banked' points they have, just subtract the value of all games in progress.