forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:17 pm 

Hi everyone.

We discussed the following issue on webdiplomacy.net witha few people and we concluded the following.
( http://webdiplomacy.net/forum.php?threa ... 900#919900 )

I'd like to make a very simple solution where people can create their own "blacklists" just as easy as muting/unmuting someone. It would work in the very same way. (Another icon placed next to muting)

After a player has blacklisted someone, those cannot join any games created by the blacklister. This means if I suspect someone is a multi, or resigns/CDs/NMRs frequently, or I just can't stand the guy, then I'm assured he cannot join my games (which I created). Whether it's anon or not.

Later we could add additional features to this, as discussed in the thread (such as notifying me if I join a game where one of my "blacklistee" is already in, or not letting any "blacklistee" into the game.) These future features are still open to discussion, and in this very forum topic I'm not willing to discuss.

What I'd like to discuss here is how to implement such a simple solution where creating the blacklist works as muting a player and making the created games non-joinable for blacklistees of the blacklister/creator.

Everything else should be discussed and implemented later, once we have this up and running. I'd like to start with this simple feature because it seems we have a consensus on the site this can work and so far no opposition had arisen.

roka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:06 pm 

On vDip we have a similar system coded.
Basically it works like muting. Just instead of the speaker-icon we switch between a smily-face and a sad-face.
If one player blocked another one they can no longer join games together.
If Player A blocked player B, B is locked out of a game that player A is already in, and player A can't join games player B joined already.
But it does not work for games already in progress.

This is in effect for about half a year and we had never any issues.

Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

thx for the quick reply,

Yeah, I've heard about that, you guys have some good stuff over vDip ...
Sadly putting them into action on webdiplomacy is not working as easy.

Sleepcap: can you write me down shortly, or can I read somewhere what's the basic way for an idea to be coded and put into the site?

I mean, I have an idea, like this one, how can I put it into the code, where should I download it from, how to put it into the code so I don't mess others' stuff which they might be working on parallel, how will it put onto the site after?

I think we have many volunteers over webdiplomacy.net, but no one really knows how to implement an idea (the protocol) or how to reach it gets online once it's implemented.

Many people want reliability rating and some other stuff on webdiplomacy.net but I (we) basically don't know why aren't they used.

Back to the basic topic, many would argue having your blacklist system on webdiplomacy.net, becuase they don't like the idea it's a 2-way ban, meaning if many bans someone it takes away his right to play, which should be the basic right on the site (until he play according to the rules) But this is a political problem for the moment, since I'd like to know how to put any new features onto action.

PS: do you have "auto-disband" implemented as well? (when one cannot do anything but to disband every unit he can give orders to)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm 

On submitting Patches:
1. You can get the code here: https://github.com/kestasjk/webDiplomacy
2. You need to "clone" the githup, apply changes to your local fork, and create a patch. (You can check the githup-site for more information, if you know how version-control-systems work you should be able to submit a patch.

But after all it's up to kestas if he includes your patch, and if he has time to merge this.