forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:36 am 

Hi kestas.
I just discovered your new addition.
Some thought about this.

It would be really cool if a player could create a game as a game-director.
He should not be able to play in this game, but he should be able to create the game.
Also a very prominent link to the gamedirectors profile would be needed on the board-page.

Another cool addition would be if the gamedirector could use the "AdminUserSwitch" for this one game only.

Oliver

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Neat ideas sleepcap, the second would be pretty straightforward but the first would be tricky, because it would mean having games with zero players in.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

Yes. It should not cancel the with 0 Members if there is a gameDirector. Not easy, but not that complex too...
I'm thinking about such a feature for quite some time, but mentally I always made the game-director a "member"-object.
Somehow I didn't think about your easy solution to add a separate entry for the wD_Games table.

Oliver

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 am 

Some more thoughts on the GameDirector.
It would be very helpful if he get's his own Chat-Tab, can make "official" posts and if (optional) his "ok" is required for game-processing.

PS: Do you think about adding these features?
If not I can give it a try, because this is a long wanted feature of mine and I'm eager to improve this, but I would like to avoid duplicate work, esp. because my code is always much worse than yours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 pm 

would it be easier to make the game-director an 8th player; i mean that would have some benefits (for example the game-director would see games listed on his home page, no need for extra coding) but would need some tweaking of a few things, mostly relating, i think, to points in and out, and getting kicked from the game for having no units/not entering orders.

Oh, and having the advantage of being a player with the associated chat would be useful too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 pm 

In many variants the n+1 th player is assigned to neutral units.
This might cause trouble for these variants.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 am 

I think there are probably better ways of doing it. I haven't looked at the game directory code changes yet but was going to. I'm currently the game director for three games and really wish the games would show up in my game list, that I could see who the anonymous players are, could set the wait for orders flag, and be able to post to global chat. It should all be doable, just with some tweaks here and there.