forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm 

If a user enters orders that don’t go well together, i.e.
* a more via sea without the convoy order, when no other play could possibly do the convoy
* a hold support while the supported unit has a move oder
* an attack support without the corresponding attack
then webdiplomacy should warn the user about this – in most cases this is just an oversight, but one that can be very painful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 am 

what about a simpler interface? for example if I want a unit to support another whose order is known (ie. a unit of mine of course), then let the interface complete the order.

eg.
a lon -> brest
the user interface can calculate which fleets of mine are required, and propose me to select those that could be involved, and complete the convoy order automatically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:46 pm 

One reason not to do this is because intentional miss-orders are a long standing ploy in the game of Diplomacy. By adding checks to prevent miss-orders, you remove the ability for someone to claim to have made a mistake. webDiplomacy already does this to some extent by preventing other types of miss-orders such as getting the territory name of one of your units wrong.

Note, I'm just pointing out one reason to not add such logic. I'm not saying that overall it is a good or bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:01 pm 

In line with what Alderian says, I think the Webdip interface goes too far as it is. On other platforms you can enter blatantly impossible orders, which can be used to signal things to other players (like A Par S F Lon-Ber).

Technically speaking this is also a misorder, but in practice it isnt meant as an order at all. I really dislike already that Webdip deviates from the original game by 'correcting' this. It certainly makes gunboats a bit harder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:00 am 

As a new player, sometimes it's hard to know whether certain moves are allowed or not, or what might happen in a particular situation. These warnings would help with that, though I agree that it would be harder to get away with intentional misorders, which is a bad thing.

One way this could be implemented without preventing intentional misorders would be to have a "playground" area - one could set up a particular game state, enter some orders for all units, and see what the result is. This solution would allow over-cautious players to test their orders, new players to experiment with the rules, and wouldn't forbid or interfere with intentional misorders. However, I would imagine the implementation would be more trouble than it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm 

We have something like this working on vDip.
It displays the exact orders as they are saved on the server.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:28 pm 

Have a look at my project as well. ;)
http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1147

The final update is nearly complete, a test-version on vdiplomacy as well. It draws your orders instantly on the map, autocomplete support moves, convoys etc. and also wrongly selected territories shouldn't be a problem anymore, as territories are selected by clicking onto the map. :)