forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:35 am 

I am new to webDiplomacy but I've been making diplomacy variants for a while. My best one by far is a post-treaty-of-Versailles Europe scenario, uncreatively named "1933 Diplomacy." I would like to program it for this, but it includes some changes to the rules: most importantly, in addition to the five major powers there are six minor powers which players bid on each year with "Influence Points" gained from every supply center (the idea is stolen from James Nelson's Napoleonic Diplomacy, though the rules are slightly different).
I was wondering: is it possible to program such rules into this? And if so how would I go about doing it?

The rules are:

The standard rules of Diplomacy apply, except as noted below:

1) Major Powers
The playable countries (hereafter the "Major Powers") are as follows:

England (Fleet London, Army Liverpool, Army Edinburgh, Fleet Cairo)
France (Army Paris, Army Marseilles, Fleet Brest, Fleet Algiers)
Italy (Army Venice, Army Rome, Fleet Naples, Fleet Tripoli)
Russia (Fleet Leningrad, Army Sevastopol, Army Moscow, Fleet Stalingrad)
Germany (Fleet Hamburg, Army Hanover, Army Berlin, Army Munich)

2) Minor Powers
In addition to the playable powers, there are also a number of Minor Powers, which the players control. These are marked by white territories with colorful borders. They are:

Finland (Army Helinski)
Poland (Army Krakow, Army Warsaw)
Hungary (Army Hungary)
Rumania (Army Bucharest)
Spain (Army Madrid, Fleet Seville)
Turkey (Fleet Constantinople, Army Smyrna)

These are controlled by the Major Powers through Influence Points (IPs).

Players bid IPs each year in the Minor Diplomacy Phase, at the beginning of every Spring Turn (The game starts in Spring 1933). The player with the most IPs invested in a Minor Power gains control of it.
At the beginning of the Minor Diplomacy Phase, each player collects 3 IPs for every Supply Center the control (IMPORTANT: The Build center in Arkhangelsk counts as one supply center when collecting IPs. The other build centers count for nothing. However, Russia may not bid more than 12 IPs on one minor power in Spring 1933). Each Minor Power has a square box at the bottom of the board. IPs, represented by tokens the color of the power that controls them, are in the boxes.
Before bidding starts, Influence decays. The IPs of each power left over from previous turns (those that are already in the boxes) are reduced by half. In the case of odd numbers, round up, unless doing so would cause there to be a tie with a player that had a greater amount of IPs before the reduction, in which case round down. After that, for every supply center annexed by the Minor Power the previous Winter, the Major Power controlling it is awarded 3 additional IPs in that box, and loses 3 for each center lost (to a minimum value of 0 IPs).
Next, Players write down what they bid for each power. Players may talk to one another at this time. Players may not trade or give away IPs, but may bid IPs (both new ones and ones carried over from previous turns) in a coalition with another player, if specified in the orders. Once everyone is done or until the phase is over (recommended 5 minutes for FtF games, 12-24 hours for online games), whichever comes first, bids are read aloud. The bids are added to the pre-existing IPs in the boxes. Whatever Player has the most invested in a Minor Power gains control of it for the year. In the case of a tie, control goes to whatever player controlled it the previous year.
If the player who controlled a Minor Power the previous year is not part of the tie, Coalition Control is established. If that happens, each power in the tie writes orders for the Minor Power. For each unit, whatever order is submitted by the most powers is what happens. In case of a tie, the unit holds.
If a player takes a home supply center from a Minor Power he or she controls, he or she loses control of said Minor Power and may never bid for control of it again. Control is transferred to the player with the most IPs invested in it. If there is a tie, a Coalition controls it until the next bidding phase. In addition, the belligerent power loses all built-up influence with other Minor Powers, and in the future they only collect 2 IPs from each supply center they own instead of 3.
Control of Minor Powers in not revealed except to secretly inform each player what Minor Power they control. Players communicate with Minor Powers (through the GM or a computer program of some sort), not knowing which Major Power they are talking to. When communicating as Major Powers, players may lie about their control of a Minor Power. When communicating as Minor Powers, they may lie about what Major Power they are. Before each bidding phase (but after adjustments in influence for decay and captured and lost SCs are made) the numbers of IPs invested in each power, but not who bid each number, are revealed.
Thus, the GM would send something like this to everybody:
Turkey (7, 4, 3, 1)
Rumania (3, 1)
Hungary (1)
Poland (11, 9 with 1 support)
etc
with something like this to each player:
You have 7 in Turkey, 1 in Rumania, 1 in Hungary, and 1 in Poland (in support of Germany)

3) Ferry Borders
Land territories joined with double-headed arrows border one another, and as such both armies and fleets may move directly between them. Thus, Wales and Edinburgh each border Irish Free State, Liverpool borders North Ireland, and Seville borders Morocco. Passage between these territories is blocked if all Water Territories bordering both of the linked territories are occupied by fleets of another power, unless that power specifically writes to allow passage in their orders.

4) Victory:
A victory requires 25 SCs, including those of any Minor Power you control with 10 more IPs than the next highest player

5) Miscellaneous:

Constantinople and Denmark function as in standard Diplomacy. Hamburg functions as Kiel did.

Territories such as Arkhangelsk and Damascus with squares on them are Build Centers. The player that starts with it may build units on it, but it gives no supplies. With the exception of Arkhangelsk, they give no IPs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:20 am 

Should be doable. but this is really a very big rule-change.
You need
1. alter the javascript code (so every player can enter controls for the minor-powers)
2. a new database-table to store the influence-points
3. process these information before the real adjucation happens
4. Present the results in a format so players understand what happened

Not really a good variant to learn how to program rule changes. These things are really complicated.
But if you are really good at PHP and javascript this should be doable.
If not I would try some more basic changes first.
You should at least understand how all these variants done so far work.

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I don't know any PHP code, and I am just starting teaching myself Java. Maybe when I'm better at that I can take a look at this again.