forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Next release todo list
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Admin

So here's what I've shortlisted for inclusion:
  • More classes be integrated into the variant interface (chatbox, order history, chat history, etc)
  • Bring the World map back in line with Sleepcap's version
  • RSS feeds for notices
  • New thread summary/message forum interface update
  • Inclusion of one new official variant (just one which is high quality, enduringly popular, and tried & tested)
  • Config.php variables for variants, allowing variant customization (will first be used to allow variants to be turned off/deprecated)

What I'm wondering is:
  • Are there any other important fixes/longstanding requests I'm forgetting?
  • Which additional variant should be added? (Will be a tough choice, but I think one new variant every year or so will help keep things fresh)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:14 am 

There has also been a couple of longstanding issues with Ancient Med that appear not to have been integrated yet.

As an example, if you look at this game:
http://www.webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=22389#gamePanel

Look at the Dal territory just northeast of Italy. It has a color glitch in the shape of an L because in the territory color map (or whatever it is called) that territory really has that L shape in it matching the color of one of the southern territories. Numidia I think.

There was also a problem with the island of Baleares where it thinks you can move an army there without convoy but then you get an invalid territory id. There might have been one other outstanding issue but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Sleepcap has these fixed on vdip as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:02 pm 

Some issues I would really like do be addressed in the new release:
They are all fixed in my install, but IMHO they are really important.

1. Custom mod-email-adress in the helpfiles (thread: http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=573)
2. The very old problem with the color-function in drawmap (100% of my variants change this code) (thread: http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=652)

You should update the World-variant and the AncMed-variant. There is a download link to all variants on my variants.php: http://www.vdiplomacy.com/variants.php (or use Github) (but check the new AncMed variant first, as it got a big code-update some time ago)

I did some changes, so the variant-selection on the searchpage and gamecreation is now a dropdownbox instead of a radio-button, that helps much with so many variants installed (you might check the implementation on my server), but it's not that necessary for your install.

As for the new variant. Most variants on the server are well tested. Even on the new maps after a few days most border issues are found and fixed. You might take a look at the variant-page what variant appeals the most for your server (There are stats on the variantpage too)

FogOfWar is a very active variant, but IMHO this should not be a variant, but a generic option (for all maps), as it heavily messes with the webdip code (has a custom map.php and jsonBoardData.php that gets loaded with changing the PanelGameBoard and Orderinterface classes, and a lot of code that prevents the use of the original files).
The 1066 is a really cool 3-player variant (that has loads of rule-twists and stunning visualization) and it gets played quite a lot, the Karibik variant has a cool twist with the added transform command (but could need some balancing) and the Greek Diplomacy has with the special territory-bidding something special too.
A save bet would be "Fall of the American Empire" or "Modern II" as they just change the map and have not much rule-changes.

Oliver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, would you recommend I merge into the new anc med? How involved would that be, and what is the alternative?

I pulled that modEmail thing in a while ago, that should be okay for the next release

Shame that fog of war couldnt be shoehorned in without making changes outside of the variant system :( It would be interesting as a generic option though, but I'm always apprehensive about complex options because they may interact badly with existing variants. If variants had to opt-in to allow generic options it could work though..

I'll put the variant question to a poll or something I think, hard to tell what would make a solid choice at a glance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:06 am 

kestasjk wrote:
Shame that fog of war couldnt be shoehorned in without making changes outside of the variant system :(

It does not use any changed files outside the variant system (just needed a class-based maps.php and Orderhistory), but the implementation lacks any style and is more a proof of concept.
Just download the variant and look at the code.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:28 am 

The biggest change to the AncMed is the new icons.
This required a javascript injection and some more icons. Nothing to worry about. Just check the code if it's good enough for you. I'm no programmer, so my coding skills are lacking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:19 pm 

I just remembered a common complaint on the forum regarding nopress games. When a player is banned from a nopress game, the gamemaster sends a message to global which the players cannot view and therefore cannot clear the message notification from the game and they are stuck with it until the game is over. This seems to come up on the forum a couple of times a month.

One solution, which I believe Sleepcap said he has in place is to clear that flag when going to the &viewArchive=Messages page.

Another solution is to have the global channel still visible as read only. One benefit of this would be to remove the read only restriction once the game is over. Another would be if you added comments a game creator could enter on the new game creation page that would display on global, such as rules regarding allowing pauses, or forced alliances, or other special rules everyone is agreeing to; then those would be able to display.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:45 pm 

One other request that comes up frequently is a warning when joining a live game. Because live games only start at the schedule time and not right away, occasionally someone will join a live game as the last player and then realize it isn't starting until their middle of the night or something. The current pop up says "Are you sure you want to join this game?" On a live game you could add information about when it will start such as "This game will start in X days and Y hours." while on non-live games it would say "This game will start when all players have joined."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:51 am 

There is also this outstanding bug (very minor):
http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=584

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:10 am 

On the issue where in gunboat games they get a gamemaster message that they can't view so can't clear the flag, I made some code changes to deal with this and at the same time add an official Notes tab using the country's own chat channel which people can already unofficially do in regular press games. You can see screen shots and list of code changes in this thread:
http://forum.webdiplomacy.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=524

Note that I do recognize that my ideas don't necessarily match your vision for webdip and you may not want various changes I make, but I love programming and have a good time playing around with it, so no worries if you say no thanks. If you do want me to submit this in a pull request, just let me know.

I know that in your list above you list moving the chatbox and other things into the variant interface, so my changes may conflict with that, as well as possibly conflict some with Sleepcap's Fog of War code if it restricts who you can talk to.