forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 pm 

Small *BUMP*.

kestasjk, what's your opinion about this at the moment?

Oliver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm 

I've started some translation, but in my opinio the multilanguage support is needed.

I mean, there is already webdiplomacy.net if you want to play in english, right?

Oliver, maki and I think many others who use webDiplo are from other countries...
it's selfexplanatory. :) IMHO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

I'd like to get multi-language support right if/when it gets added, the problem is that that's hard to do. Translating individual strings like that will either need huge combinations of strings to be translated ("England has been defeated", "France has been defeated", ...) or may result in strings which can't be translated (("England"/"France"/"Germany"/...) + ("has been defeated"), which may not fit into the syntax of another language)

Also PHP is terrible with UTF support, or was last I checked, which means UTF strings can't be included within PHP scripts reliably. This limits the types of language which can be translated to

There are also many issues like JavaScript file translations, translations within map overlays, the timestamps needing to be localized, right-left languages which would cause CSS issues, errors which are displayed to the user but also logged for developers, situations where english names are used as system variables (e.g. in votes, tabbed pages), etc.
In a nutshell I just don't know how to implement decent translation support in PHP, and because PHP 6 makes a big thing about its new localization support I'm not desperate to learn how to do it in PHP 5 now just to have to re-learn when PHP 6 comes out

One possibility in the meantime is adding output-buffer translation support and/or JavaScript translation support. Both of them basically mean the English page outputs like normal, but is then post-processed by a translator, which would simply do a series of find/replace searches. If it was done in JavaScript it wouldn't even put any load on the server
Doing it this way has many of the same advantages of jayp's _() method, in how it can be imperfect but added to over time, but it doesn't need to be installed everywhere throughout the code and I can pretty much ignore it (it'd also be much easier to code)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:46 pm 

as long as there will be a translation possibility is good.

the _() method is cool, because it lets you freedom in developping your code, and let us translate the strings in any language we want.
Yes, the UTF support in php should have improved...

But also waiting php6 is ok. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6