forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 am 

I've installed XAMPP, but get the following error message when I try to access mysql admin. in the XAMPP control panel:

Attachment:
phpAdminproblem.jpg
phpAdminproblem.jpg [ 47.84 KiB | Viewed 2437 times ]

:?: :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:12 am 

Wow that was a weird bug it's fixed now, fyi to others the fix is:

1.open XAMPP
2.stop MySql
3. open service
4. check the box (run XAMPP control panel as a service
5. uncheck the box for MySql
6. exit and uncheck the Svc box for MySql
7. Exit and restart XAMPP.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 am 

I'm using Wamp 2.2. But just because that's what my son was using for stuff he was doing, I don't really know what differences there are in Wamp versus XAMPP versus whatever else. Of course Wamp is for windows and maybe you are using XAMPP on a different operating system.

Note, for the captcha stuff, you may need to either change the php.ini to include cookies in $_REQUEST, or change the code to look at $_COOKIE instead of $_REQUEST. There is a thread about it here somewhere. In php.ini the line is: request_order = "GP". Add C to the end to have cookies included in $_REQUEST. I think Kestas has that fixed but I don't think it is in the 1.04 version.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 am 

what exactly is the 'captcha stuff'? Sorry I'm very new to this and don't know what this means. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:27 pm 

The captcha is the image of the letters/numbers that the user has to type in to prove they aren't a script. Several people have had problems getting that part to work. But now that I think about it, I think that part wasn't the part with $_COOKIE vs. $_REQUEST issues. There are some posts below about it.

Are you just using this server for your own testing and code changes? Or is it being setup to play actual games with actual users? If the former, in the email configuration you can set UseDebug to true, and it'll display the link you need to paste into the url bar rather than send an email. But if the later, then you actually want the email registration stuff to work properly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 am 

The install is just to test and run code changes, so I'm not concerned about security at the moment. I am stuck though at the moment in that I should like to know how to:
1. Edit the config.php
2. Login as admin
any help will be appreciated.
thx.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:49 am 

kaner406 wrote:
1. Edit the config.php

From the README-file:
Edit config.sample.php to work with your setup, being very careful to read the warnings
about security issues. The salts/secrets, errorlog/orderlog directories, can all
leave your server wide open if you don't set them right. Rename to config.php when ready.
kaner406 wrote:
2. Login as admin
From the README (again):
Once you've set config.php up you can use the random gameMasterSecret you entered
to authenticate as the admin. First create a user via the registration page, then
once logged on go to gamemaster.php?gameMasterSecret=[yoursecret] .

It will give you admin rights, then refresh the page as admin to run the gamemaster
script for the first time, which will initialize various stats and maintenance
processes. (This only works for the first user that does it, any other
admins/moderators have to be set via the admin control-panel.)

Go to the Admin CP via the menu, find the "Toggle Maintenance Mode" action and
run it, preventing others from using the server up while you're testing it.

Oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:58 pm 

kaner406 wrote:
The install is just to test and run code changes, so I'm not concerned about security at the moment. I am stuck though at the moment in that I should like to know how to:
1. Edit the config.php
2. Login as admin
any help will be appreciated.
thx.
There are two ways of interpreting item 1. Do you mean how do you make changes to the file, or what do you need to change in the file?

It is just a text file, so on windows use Notepad, Wordpad, or a decent editor (which implies the first two are not decent and frankly that isn't strong enough of a sentiment so I'm now explicitly stating it.)

As for the contents, the readme installation instructions cover it all pretty well. For non-production, setting UseDebug to true makes it so you don't actually get an email, but rather get the contents of the email on the page so you can just cut and paste the url from that. That effectively skips the email validation.