forum.webdiplomacy.net

webDip dev coordination forum / public access todo list
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm 

Hi there.
In a couple of weeks I'll have the possibility to change my hosting, because I've almost reached the space limit on my actual one. Also, the hosting I'm actually with eventually reaches some limitation ( probably the concurrent connections number), and "goes away" for a while... :evil:
So, I'd like to change, paying more attention, so the site doesn't go away with 30-50 users at the same time.

Apart the webspace, and other obvious things, what are the important configuration limits I should pay attention to?

Something like
max_execution_time = xx
upload_max_filesize = xx
memory_limit = xx
post_max_size = xx

Thanks.

ps. also, if you have some good hosters to suggest, you're welcome. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Congrats on growing your site alex

I found with 30-50 peak-time users Dreamhost worked well. It does have its stability issues, but we hosted there for 4-5 years and 120-140 peak users before we decided to move.

I can also set up referrer discounts which are pretty good; CODE4ALEXINTOUR on signup for 1 year will take it down from ~$120 to ~$20, which is very cheap, and the max discount. (We're on leaseweb now, and it's ~$40/mo by comparison, though more stable)

I jumped around a few providers before winding up on Dreamhost, it was just issue after issue trying to find the absolute cheapest provider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:41 pm 

Thanks, Kestas.

I'll definitely suggest also this one (the final decision is not only mine).

The initial tought was to have an Italy/europe based hoster, because our main users are from Italy. That's why I've just asked for specifications, as it's difficult that you know italian providers. :)

But if the speed of dreamhoster is good enough (said that the price with the discount is great), it's a possibility.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:40 pm 

I've also found a reasonable italian hoster. the promised guaranteed speed is 5mbps (620KBps). Is it good or should I skip it?

I've also heard about hetzner.de (is in Germany), apart from hosting, they have virtual servers for 8€ per month. (Single Core;
RAM512 MB; Hard discs20 GB HDD; NIC100 MBit) I think a virtual server is quite too much, but who knows... could this be enough or would I experience problems with many user at the same time?

Sleepcap, what kind of hosting do you have? Please, let me know here or with PM. It'll be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm 

I am on hetzner.de with the 4,90€ Level4 webhosting.
Works very well. The webspace is a bit small (4 GB) and needs monthly deletion of older cachefiles, and I need to run the cron-script from a small server at home. But have no issues so far. Needs no server-maintance.
For 9,90€/month you get 6GB and can use cronjobs, but as it's just a hobby for me the Level4 is enough at the moment.

Oliver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:17 pm 

Oliver, thank you.

I think we are going to try an italian hoster.. They promise quite a lot and seem to be reliable.
But Hetzner and the one suggested by Kestas will remain for future references.

How often do you execute the cron on your site?